In an effort to support remote instruction, UCF has renewed a one-year instructional subscription to JoVE Science Education for the 2021-2022 academic year.
- Videos covering research methods, lab manuals, clinical skills, and similar topics in STEM fields.
- Over 12,000 videos in disciplines such as biology, chemistry, engineering, medicine, physics, and psychology.
- Brief video demonstrations of labs and experiments to teach core scientific concepts.
- JoVE videos that can be viewed on their site or embedded into learning management systems
While the collection is STEM-based, JoVE is available for all faculty. A detailed access list of the collections available to faculty can be found here: https://www.jove.com/access.
Please note you will need to be logged in to JoVE in order to view the access list. Please see the Access JoVE section for more information on how to sign in.
If you are interested in searching what is available on JoVE’s website, please visit the UCF Library’s Faculty Support Guide on how to access JoVE from the library database. This will allow you to navigate JoVE’s website while logged in as a “University of Central Florida User.”
Or, if you go to JoVE’s website directly, you can log in with these steps:
- Go to https://www.jove.com/
- In the upper right-hand corner click Sign In
- Select Continue with Shibboleth/OpenAthens
- Change the Select an Institution drop-down to University of Central Florida
- Click GO TO LOGIN
- You will then be logged in under “University of Central Florida User” access.
Use JoVE Content
You can also create your own personal account with JoVE. This is needed if you plan to embed content into your Webcourses@UCF course or if you use the Canvas JoVE LTI. To create your own account with JoVE:
- Go to https://www.jove.com/
- In the upper right-hand corner, click Sign In
- Select Or Create an Account
- Enter your UCF email under Institutional Email and click Create Account
- You will then be sent a verification email.
- Once you have opened the link from the verification email, you will be asked to enter your First and Last Name, your preferred password, and then select your Role as Faculty.
- You will then be signed into JoVE with your personal account.
Students do not have to create an account to access JoVE content within your course. If they do experience any technical issues, please refer to the FAQ section for more information or they can also contact Webcourses@UCF Support for assistance.
To help generate the available content within JoVE, JoVE’s Customer Success team can provide general syllabus maps, or map your specific curriculum, to relevant JoVE content. You can check existing syllabus mappings here and reach out to the Customer Success team to request their services.
For any questions about syllabus mapping, the content within JoVE, or possible future content in JoVE, please reach out to either of the representatives.
JoVE Faculty Demos
JoVE content can be easily integrated into your Webcourses@UCF course in multiple ways by:
- Embedding content directly onto a Canvas page.
- Implementing JoVE curated curriculum in a common cartridge file or QTI file that can be imported into your Webcourses@UCF course.
- Linking content directly into a module through the JoVE External Tool.
Embedding a Video on a Page
Once you have the embed code, you can also refer to this Canvas Guide Canvas Guide on how to embed a video onto a Page: How do I embed a video in a page in a course?.
If you have multiple videos that you would like to have embedded into your course, you can also contact JoVE’s Customer Success team and they will be able to provide you with a list of all of the embed codes of the videos you are requesting.
Importing Files into your Webcourses@UCF Course
JoVE External Tool
This feature is currently being updated within Canvas by the LMS Administrators and JoVE. We will update this webpage as soon as more information is available.